Friday, September 7, 2012

Use I Me And Myself Correctly

Use I/Me/Myself


The proper use of first-person pronouns is something even grammarians puzzle over from time to time. The most common mistake is using "I" or "myself" for the sake of formality when the more casual-sounding "me" is actually correct. Although there will always be sentences that trip you up, here are a few pointers that will help you pick the right pronoun.


Instructions


1. Understand when to use "myself." There are really only two scenarios in which you should use this reflexive pronoun: when referring to a subject (you) that's already been named or for emphasis.


Examples:


I reward myself when I complete a grueling task.


I bought myself a new car.


I made it myself.


2. Determine the subject of the verb, as this will tell you whether to use "I" or "me." "I" is a subject pronoun, which means it must be the subject of the verb in order to fit. "I" must be the "who" or "what" the sentence is about.


Correct: Sandy and I went to the movies.


Incorrect: Sandy and me went to the movies.


The second example is incorrect because you wouldn't say, "Me went to the movies," you would say, "I went to the movies." The trick to quickly remembering this rule is to ignore all other people in the discussion - in this case, Sandy - and say the sentence as though you are the only one participating in the activity.


3. Use the object pronoun "me" when you are the object of the verb.


Correct: Frank invited Sandy and me to the movies.


Incorrect: Frank invited Sandy and I to the movies.


The second example is incorrect because you wouldn't say, "Frank invited I to the movies," you would say, "Frank invited me to the movies." Frank is the subject who is doing the action (inviting) of the sentence, and you and anyone else mentioned are the objects of that action.







Tags: Frank invited, went movies, because wouldn, example incorrect, example incorrect because, Frank invited movies, Frank invited Sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Girls Generation - Korean